Exhibit May 5 – June 3, 2023
North Valley Art League Carter House Gallery
48 Quartz Hill Road, Redding, CA 96003
Prospectus (Click here to Print)
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all artists 18 years old and over. Work must be original, both in concept and execution.
ELIGIBLE MEDIA: Oil, Oil Pastel, Soft Pastel, Water Media, Drawing Media, Alcohol Ink, Printmaking, Mixed Media and Collage.
NON-ELIGIBLE MEDIA: Sculpture, Photography, Computer generated art. Work done under supervision, which includes any in a class or workshop. Copied Work, work previously accepted into any NVAL juried show.
Best of Show – $350
Second Place – $250
Third Place – $150
Awards of Merit – 3 at $50 each
Honorable Mentions – 6, Ribbons
$35 for first three works, $10.00 each work thereafter
No limit on the number of submissions
ONLINE ENTRY ONLY – via Smarter Entry (details at bottom of page)
You will upload images of your work to Smarter Entry. From all the entered images, the juror will select works to be shown in the Gallery for final judging. You will be notified whether or not your work(s) were selected for the final judging.
Credit Card Only
Entry fees are non-refundable
Entry details are in the Call to Artists/Prospectus, along with instructions for Smarter Entry.
Gallery Hours: 11am to 4pm, Wednesday – Saturday
Entry Labels are included in the printed Prospectus. Copies are at NVAL Carter House Gallery. Labels will also be available when you bring your work in.
QUESTIONS/CONTACT: Kathleen Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org
David Lobenberg is well known for his portraiture work in the “California Vibe” style. His high level of excellence in figurative/ landscape watercolor and acrylic painting is well recognized by artists and collectors nationwide. He has a Master’s Degree in Fine Arts from UCLA and is an adjunct art professor at Sacramento City College. Read more about David Lobenberg and see more of his extraordinary work here – David Lobenberg Fine Art.
SELECTION & AWARDS PROCEDURE: The juror will select artwork for the show from the entries submitted. Artists will receive notification by Email of selected and/or not selected entries. Awards are given at the juror’s discretion. The decision of the juror is final. Awards will be presented at the reception on Friday, March 4, 5 to 7pm. Award presentation is at 6pm.
AGREEMENT: All reasonable care will be taken with the art work. However, the following Policies apply.
- The North Valley Art League shall not be responsible for, and assumes no Liability arising from fire, theft, damage or loss to artist’s property, including without limitation, the displayed artwork or any other items. artist hereby releases and discharges the North Valley Art League from all claims and demands by artist for loss of or damage to artist’s property.
- The artist further agrees that the North Valley Art League may use digital images of the artist’s original artwork for promotion of the art exhibit and the North Valley Art League.
SALES: California sales tax is collected by NVAL on all art work sold. NVAL retains a 20 percent commission on all sales. Paintings must remain in the Gallery for the entire show.
FRAMING & HANGING REQUIREMENTS: Maximum size 40″ including frame, maximum weight 12 pounds. Entries must be framed or be finished 1.5 – 2 inch deep gallery wrapped canvases. All paintings must be ready to hang. Framing must be substantial and up to typical gallery standards (no poster frames).
Frames need to be properly fitted with D-rings or split rings that fit our hanging system (½ inch to ¾ inch). Eye hooks are NOT acceptable. D-rings can be purchased at NVAL -2 for $1. They are also available at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc. Please do not use hanging hardware centered on the top of the frame to hang your work. The piece will be unstable when hung. For most pieces, place D-rings 2” from top of the frame to prevent the frame from leaning away from the wall at the top. With large pieces 3” from the top works well.
CALENDAR – All dates 2023
March 9 Online entries open – entry online only through Smarter Entry (details above). If you would like help with online submissions, contact Kathleen Evans at email@example.com
April 8 Online entries close
April 9 through 12 Online first-round judging
April 13 Notifications of acceptance sent (via email only)
April 19 – 22 & 26 – 29 Intake of art work at Carter House Gallery, shipped work accepted after April 13
May 2 Final judging at Carter House Gallery
May 3 – June 3 Show at Carter House Gallery
May 5 Opening reception and awards
June 3, 2 – 4 p.m. Pick up work at Carter House Gallery
TO CREATE SMARTER ENTRY ACCOUNT, ENTER, or EDIT IMAGES: Smarter Entry is an online service that assists art groups with juried shows. This is the process:
- Create a free account at the Smarter Entry site, if you don’t already have one. Instructions are at the site.
- Choose a show; in this case, the NVAL Juried Painting Show will be the only one available to you from the link below. The show will not be “live” until March 9, so you won’t see it until then.
- Pay for however many entries you wish (you can go back and add more until the entry period closes).
- Upload photographs of your paintings.
- Once the entry period closes (on April 8), the juror (David Lobenberg) will review the entries online and make the first round of selections.
- NVAL will notify you by April 13 whether your work was chosen or not to be shown in the Gallery.
- If your work is chosen, you will bring the painting(s) to the gallery by April 29, where NVAL volunteers will install them for the show.
- David Lobenberg will do the final judging on the paintings installed in the Gallery.
If you would like help with online submissions, contact Kathleen Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.